Flower Power

Flower Power
Smile... Be Happy!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Love Letters

I always thought it would be so romantic to fall in love with somebody through their letters. Well, let's say letters and photographs to be fair. I'd want to get a look at their face, wouldn't you? Anyway, what if you could fall in love with somebody, through the things that they write about on any given day? Sorta like "In the Good Old Summertime.". Now, I'm not sure how those two came to start writing the letters to each other, but they actually knew each other in everyday situations... They just didn't know that they had met each other face to face. In real life, they annoyed each other like crazy. In the letters, though, they wrote each other poetry and talked about the whether, and all that they enjoyed. They "romanced" each other. And it wasn't fake. The two were discussing interests sincerely, being a lady and a gentleman, still guarded, but with just enough distance between them, that they could open up a bit. In actuality they worked together!

Anyway...I wouldn't have to have all that. I'm thinking more along the lines of two people who just began conversing, say, online, so that we're in the 21st century, and things just sorta picked up from there. Is it possible? Say they knew each others names and what they looked like, they just had never set eyes on each other face to face? Oh, and one last thing...I'm not talking about a social dating site either. No eHarmony, no, Christian Mingle. On that subject, I've experienced both. These experiences were not wasted ones; but what I've found is that it feels weird when you know you're on a site with all these other people "looking" for the same thing... and then it becomes like a hit or miss kinda deal where you're not really sure where this is going to lead to, you just have to wait and see. Okay, great, but if I'm going to do that, why don't I just randomly date, like most people... and get all sorts of butterflies in the stomach, thinking about what to wear, how to do my hair, where is he taking me? What if I'm not ready on time? Checking my mirror a hundred times wondering if there is something in my teeth...

With all due respect, I'd rather just curl up on my couch with a blanket and some take out, and a fire in the fireplace. I'll watch a long movie; it might even be "Titanic"... who knows? Anyway, this seems much more worth my while, since I'm guarantee'd to like myself, you know? Anyhow, in "The Good Old Summertime" when they were writing to each other, there was no "forum" that they had joined. No competition. They didn't put each other on the spot. They were not trying to "get" each other. They were just being themselves. Yes, they were behaving "better" than usual in the letters...but that was because they had not met each other before. They were being very cordial to each other...and elegant. I love it! They were respectful of each other (in the letters). I believe the word is "chivalry.". My problem is, the idea of actually "dating" makes me so nervous, I can't think straight. It isn't that I couldn't go on a date...I just have a terrible time doing anything where I feel as though I'm putting on an act for someone... however wonderfully I may pull it off. If someone dates and it works for them...then more power to them. For me, there's the issue of simply not meeting that many guys in the first place. I had a bad experience with a singles group once, so I'd rather not go there... But anyway.

It's much easier for me to meet people online...but I'm no fool. One has to guard themselves. We have to be careful...very. People can pretend to be anyone they want to because of the buffer of a computer screen. And sometimes, those who are not pretending to be someone else are just using the computer to be honestly cruel. I have a feeling that in "Good Old Summertime," Judy Garland and Van Johnson didn't need to have a set of rules to protect themselves from improper strokes of the pen :). But anyway. So, it's very indirect isn't it? On Facebook, for example, people seem to live to say a whole lot of "nothing" but the irony is that this may be the best way to get to know people in their everyday lives. But then you have people who don't guard themselves at all, and have no manners and have no tact. I mean, people on Facebook think it's a thrill just to add another friend, just because... why not? It's "fluff," you know? Sometimes it's shards of glass being thrown at people in the form of bullying and insults. The wrong kind of people begin fights... and well, who wants to waste their intelligence on that?

But many people, really do just want to be as honestly expressive as they can, while just encouraging someone else. They have what I call a "ministry," even if they aren't spiritual. Their Facebook posts, tweets, YouTube videos, blog posts, and anything else they have online serves a very definite purpose. They are considerate of others and use proper "nettiquette" as far as they are aware. Anyway, a lot of times, we are not guarded in everyday life, the way we are when we are on the information super highway. It can be easy to think that if you are talking to someone face to face, then you are getting to know the real them. Not necessarily. Then, sometimes it's the opposite. Sometimes we're very guarded face to face, but not guarded at all online ( maybe because we think no one can hurt us there.)

Who was it I heard just recently talking about the lost art of letter writing? Choosing a special pen, decorating the envelope, putting your perfume in a letter to your love, putting the kisses on the back, putting a drawing in it or a bookmark. Well, who does that anymore? Maybe, what I really need is a PO box! Gee how much does that cost? So, what if there's distance between people? Say, you're not right around the corner and you can't just see each other whenever? The online thing, it would seem, could be good, but since it's so difficult (apparently) to tell whether someone is being sincere, I suppose most people might not try that.

But then again... Some things never change, do they? I mean, there's the whole grey area of "Do they like me, do they not like me? Will they be angry if I say anything? ( Especially if a girl likes a guy). Is this appropriate? Will they be scared away if I say anything?" I mean, that happens when people know each other face to face, doesn't it? Can a person show someone their substance and character through computer keys? Well, I think so...but maybe that's just me. Anyway, there's still more to this story...

You see, it's happened to me. There's someone that I got to know of through You Tube videos. I've never met this person face to face. But if everything he says in his videos is true (and my better judgement tells me he's sincere) then he has a character I'd like to know better. We're not just around the corner... But it wouldn't be impossible. He's even said (in passing) that he'd like a hint... a clue, if and when a girl really liked him. I understand! But is that okay with you? (I'd like to ask). Is that okay? Would he mind? I don't know if I should. I was taught to be a lady, and step out of a guy's way. Would he respect me if I said so? A guy can do that himself, ya know? Good grief, I'm speaking in RHYME! I'm a little older; when he was born, I was in fourth grade. :). Anyway, he may be turned off by a Christian faith. If so then it wouldn't work anyway. I'm the same as anyone, I don't want to be rejected either. If I gave him any hint of clinging...HOW COULD I DO THAT?? I know he'd hate it, of course! Any man with conviction would! That's a good sign. So how could I do that? I can't! (I know). Step back, step back! :). But why would he do anything about me when he has no idea? How can I leave something to him he may or MAY NOT know about? Is that even fair? And I mean this with respect, so you know. :)

In the movie, Van Johnson knows, and he keeps it to himself, so Judy Garland just thinks he keeps standing her up. They keep making plans to meet and he doesn't show. The thing is... He comes! He watches her trough the window each time, and she doesn't even know. I can't make any videos, I simply don't have the camera. I'd love to get letters from this guy... But of course, I'm no fool. That crosses a line of personal information. (and, who does that anymore?) Emails would be great. To message him, would be pursuing... Would it not? Or would it? I don't know, see? But to you, who I'm so glad I could "encourage", I feel very encouraged when I watch your videos about a whole "spectrum" of things. If you need another hint that a girl is into you ... Yes! Anyway, I'd love it if he'd message me, but I don't dare ask! Would I be better off if I did (ask about these things)? What if he doesn't even have a clue he makes me smile on the inside? :). Would he ever read this? I don't know. Maybe he'd rather I just said so, and was direct. Look I don't wanna step on any toes. You chase someone, and they'll run, you know?

Anyway, I don't think Van and Judy's feelings got in the way, because they already knew. Well, they knew on paper...and when they knew each other face to face... They had their letters to remind them of affection that flowed from their pens...and all the angst was forgiven. Ahhhh, if life were only like this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment