Flower Power

Flower Power
Smile... Be Happy!

Friday, October 12, 2012

In My Element

It's rainy and cloudy today. There's a definite chill in the air, and I can hear a steady trickle of water outside. It's gloomy and overcast. I just love it! Such a welcome change after too many months of triple digit temps. The house is quiet (YES!). So, I'm sitting in bed with my blankets and a sweatshirt, watching my favorite TV series of all time, drinking coffee, and playing with the cat. Am I sick today? Nope. Just totally ENJOYING myself.

"What's my favorite series?" you ask. It's the old 80's cable series "Faerie Tale Theatre.". For the first time, I'm watching it, and a bit sad at how many of these actors are no longer with us. Seems just about any popular actor,(of the day) young or old played a part in these. They are the classic children's stories, brought to life on screen with A LOT of humor. Of everything I've ever loved on TV...I've always been the most obsessed with this. I don't watch them much anymore because I'm the only one in the house who really likes them. Well, sometimes my mother will still watch them with me because she did when I was a kid... so some of them she's seen many times. She would help me learn about all the actors in them. Most of the actors that I admire today played some part in these. Anyway...I am so in my element! Probably totally OUT of everyone else's, but... That's me-- a proud square peg in a world of round holes! It's grand! Totally grand!

I think we all have our obsessions that we allow ourselves to get really emerged in, especially when no one else is around. I'd love to share all my obsessions with others, but usually, others are not nearly as obsessed with my obsessions as I am. The bummer is that many times I want others to love MY obsessions so much... That I can forget to really show and interest in THEIR obsessions. Maybe it's not even an obsession... Just something else from someone else that needs attention. I'm most certainly an adult, but that childlike side of me takes over, and I want to stay in my own little world and be left alone. So, I like to make a conscious effort to care for those around me, step out of my own little space, and do things for others with as much passion as I have when I'm enjoying my own little world. Hmmm, is there such a thing as being obsessed with being interested in others? Obsessed with thinking of others as more important than myself? Well, the first thing I think of is the Bible. Not that I'm preaching... But that's what it's all abbot, right? The weird thing is that the more I TRY to do this, the more I seem to fail! :) As deeply as I care for others or want to care for them, everything seems to come back to me and my interests, and me trying not to throw a fit when I have to abandon them and do something for someone else. I don't know... does everybody have this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment